I use to think chocolate mousse was a fancy restaurant dessert, the kind that would pass by my table and I would immediately tell the server “I will have what they’re having”. One day when I stumbled across a few recipes for it though I was shocked. You mean to tell me that with only 4 ingredients I can make the fluffy, creamy, perfection myself?! This sent shockwaves through the George house and ever since then we make this dessert anytime a fancy treat is called for (I.e. when our besties spent New Years with us, Valentine’s Day and most recently when it was Tuesday and we were craving chocolate).
This is not just any Chocolate Mousse recipe though, when I stumbled across the new flavor of Oreos – Java Chip, I had to take a stab at it. Chocolate and coffee?! What could possibly go wrong? Hope you enjoy my Java Chip Oreo inspired Chocolate Mousse!
Makes 2 servings
- 1 1/4 cup of heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup of dark chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup of espresso chocolate chips (these are new and I almost died when I saw them – if you can’t find them though, you can use 1 tablespoon of finely ground coffee grinds or instant coffee)
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon of cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- Java Chip Oreos for garnish
- Whip the heavy cream and vanilla extract until stiff peaks form
- Melt the semi-sweet, dark chocolate and espresso chocolate chips (microwave or double boiler, your preference)
- Mix in the cocoa powder into the whipped heavy cream
- Add the whipped heavy cream to the melted chocolate and lightly fold in the cream – you want to be gentle with this as you don’t want the whipped cream to deflate
- Portion out the chocolate mousse to your serving dish and place in the fridge for 1-2 hours
- Garnish with the Java Chip Oreos and enjoy!